Do-a-thon: Modeling and optimization of flexibilities in power distribution systems

flexibility
do-a-thon
aarhus-2019
power-systems

In this do-a-thon I would like to discuss challenges one faces when analyzing different flexibilities in power distribution systems, such as battery storages, flexible loads, or reactive power provision, and their impact on grid planning. These challenges are quite diverse and include amongst others

• Open distribution grid data: Open distribution grid data or approaches to synthesize grid data, especially of urban grid structures where data is particularly rare
  • Assessment of flexibility: Open data and approaches to estimate available flexibility of e.g. battery electric vehicles
  • Optimization approaches: Finding the optimal combination of flexibilities through e.g. non-linear optimal power flow or heuristics
  • Complexity reduction: Choosing valid methods to reduce complexity on a temporal scale (e.g. through deriving relevant design cases for grid planning or probabilistic calculations), spatial scale (e.g. clustering of nodes) and/or with respect to the number of scenarios while still obtaining robust results

The topic is purposely kept quite broad as I would like to set the focus of the do-a-thon depending on the participants’ interests and backgrounds. Maybe we could even split up in focus groups or hold two consecutive do-a-thon sessions.
The format could be one where several people each have a chance to present their related work and discuss open questions. The desired outcome of this session is to have a good overview of relevant open data sources, helpful open source tools, and approaches to analyze flexibilities in distribution grids.
I could present two tools we developed in a former project that synthesize medium and low voltage grids [1] and implement heuristics on storage integration and grid supportive curtailment [2], as well as ongoing work on assessing flexibility of battery electric vehicles and non-linear optimal power flow using powermodels.jl.

[1] ding0 https://github.com/openego/ding0
[2] eDisGo https://github.com/openego/eDisGo
[3] PowerModels https://github.com/lanl-ansi/PowerModels.jl

Electric distribution modeling
Do-a-thon pandapower / PowerModels

Quite a lot has been published on energy sector flexibility concepts. This position paper from Germany provides a good overview and might be a reasonable place to start?

References

acatech, Leopoldina, Akademienunion (February 2016). Flexibility concepts for the German power supply in 2050: ensuring stability in the age of renewable energies — Position paper. Germany: acatech, Leopoldina, Akademienunion. ISBN 978-3-8047-3549-1.

I just proposed a do-a-thon about pandapower/PowerModels that might fit well within this topic. Considering the broad nature of the topic it might still be worth it to split it up into several sessions. For example the topic about openly available networks (real/generic) might be specific enough for its own session?

At TH Köln we are currently working on a little storage model (python-based with the aim to integrate/couple it to pypsa) to integrate and evaluate also different operation strategies, which are not optimized. We would be interested in a focus group (as proposed here by Birgit) regarding that topic. I think it would be nice to exchange in advance, to know where exactly to set the focus. Maybe open_bea is heading in a similar direction? Any other opinions/hints on this topic?