Workshop Proposal: Creating data-sets from OpenStreetMap

Tutorial 1: Creating data-sets from OpenStreetMap

Session description:

OpenStreetMap (OSM) is the largest open source project for georeferenced objects. Lately, its database has been proven to be a valuable asset in energy system modelling.

However, the extraction and filtering of (large) OSM data can be challenging with the current applications available and online tools.
In this beginner hands on tutorial, we demonstrate a very easy way to filter and store OpenStreetMap data, with a newly developed python library. The library has been created within the SciGRID_gas project to filter and extract European gas transport data. However, it can be used for any kind of OpenStreetMap data by simply adapting the customisable filter expressions.

Additionally, we can also cover some of the following points:

• creation of a network from extracted OSM data
  • more advanced network algorithms
  • legal situation of the OSM ODbL license
  • analysis of current gas transport data in OSM

From our side, we would also like to discuss the automated merging of an OSM data with other data into a coherent network.

Note: All information and data sets required for this tutorial will be supplied, in addition to the tools, that are written in Python. Hence limited Python coding is required by the participants to the sessions, and each participant will need to bring their own laptop, on which a Python version of 3.6 or higher is ready for use.

You can check out our SciGRID_gas website for additional information.

3 Likes

Great proposal. It’s from while ago. Did it happen?

@DavidEnergie I don’t believe that workshop took place but @Nethead gave a lightning talk at the third openmod mini‑workshop — see talk 4 described here (the video should be on YouTube in a week or so too). Perhaps this issue could run as a dedicated openmod webinar if there is enough interest and leadership? And the openmod should be able to find some borrowed infrastructure to host the event.

1 Like

@robbie.morrison @DavidEnergie Well, actually it did take place!
But I am always happy to repeat it, if there is a significant amount of interest.
However, you can always go to
https://www.gas.scigrid.de/posts/2020-Jan-27_software-release-esy-osmfilter.html
where you find the tool an the documentation.
David and I are in contact and have moved our conversation to PM by now.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer @robbie.morrison. I participated in this talk, that’s how I found @Nethead.

:slight_smile: