1st Online Lightning Talk Mini-workshop, 26 March 2020

Hi Taco -

Many thanks for stepping up. In principle, yes, we should be able to provide zoom hosting again: will depend on finalisation of date (and timezone!) but we can resolve in the topic for the new workshop…

Cheers - Barry.

We should correct the translation of UTC to individual time zones because of daylight savings starting this weekend.

1 Like

Hi @olugovoy - the 2nd iteration of the online workshops is live at 2nd Online Lightning Talk Mini-workshop - feel free to add your talks to the list. Depending on demand/interest I may curate, but we’ll see if that’s needed…

Workshop attendance

Edit: updated version below

Zoom forwards CSV files to the meeting host on completion. Here is a quick and dirty analysis — lacking sophisticated deduplication — of attendance:

• registrations : 179
  • participants : 168

Participation histogram:

duration

Technical notes: Participants deemed identical if the first 10 characters of their registration matches. Participant durations below 10 minutes deemed to be connection trials and not plotted. A broken connections would show here as two distinct participants. Participant durations above 180 minutes due to chatting after the meeting. Tools: bash, gnuplot.

2 Likes

Thanks @robbie.morrison! Can we also do a version with “unique people” on the y-axis to see how long in total people stayed, irrespective of multiple logins?

@tom_brown Sure. BTW, here is what quick‑and‑dirty looks like:

target="participants-341129483.csv"
cat $target | tail --lines=+5 | sort | uniq --check-chars=10 | wc --lines
cat $target | tail --lines=+5 | cut --delimiter=',' --fields=5 | sort --general-numeric-sort | tr '\n' ' ' | sed --expression 's/ [[:digit:]]\b//g' --expression 's/^0 //' && echo

Workshop attendance

Part 2

Edit: updated version below

@tom_brown Corrected plot with aggregate durations as requested. The envelope is now a little shorter and fatter with the following metrics:

• unique participants : 167
  • attended for 20 minutes or longer : 159

Participation bar graph:

openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation

Technical notes: Multiple sessions by the same participant are now aggregated. All sessions, including those less than one minute in duration, are plotted. Deduplication is based on email addresses rather than stated names because repeat attempts to attend sometimes resulted in truncated names being entered. Tools: python, pandas, matplotlib.

DAT and SVG files (no personal data): openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation.tgz (13.8 KB)

2 Likes

Great, thank you @robbie.morrison for this! Now I thought of another one: the number of attendees over time, so we can see when there was peak / nadir attendance. But I’ll take care of this myself :wink:.

Workshop attendance

Part 3

@tom_brown Next corrected plot with overlapping sessions now considered. Zoom allows more than one concurrent session (as I belatedly discovered) so this analysis processes the join and leave timestamps, not the individual session durations (as you can see, the meeting is now truncated at 217 minutes):

• unique participants : 167
  • attended for 20 minutes or longer : 159
  • cumulative non‑overlapping participation : 353 hours

Participation bar graph:

openmod-miniworkshop-01-participation

Technical notes: Multiple potentially overlapping sessions by the same participant are now aggregated using first join and last leave timestamps. All sessions, including those less than one minute in duration, are plotted. Deduplication is based on email addresses rather than stated names because repeat attempts to attend sometimes resulted in truncated names being entered. Tools: python, pandas, matplotlib.

DAT (no copyright), SVG (CC‑BY‑4.0 license), python3 (ISC license) files (no personal data):

2 Likes

@tom_brown did you post the videos from this workshop? I was looking for links, but can’t seem to find them.

Hi @claytonpbarrows It’s me doing the videos. The bottleneck was my six year old laptop which couldn’t cope with video editing but has now been replaced. Hopefully some YouTubes very shortly … Sorry. R