The aim of this do-a-thon would be to join our capacities to advance open data in the heat sector. There have been threads on the forum
and a do-a-thon last year in Zurich where many useful approaches were collected
The openmod wiki lists heating demand as one of the data requirements for a European energy system model with high spatial resolution.
I propose this do-a-thon as a follow-up on the previous discussions, having in mind the aim of an open dataset/open models for heat demand with appropriate spatial resolution.
I see two approaches worth pursuing. First,
- collect references, projects and databases that relate to heat demand.
- document the different approaches to make them comparable,
- devise ways in which heat demand models can be validated.
The previous points can help to update the wiki page on thermal demand:
A second path I would like to follow is to
- identify the hurdles for going open (personal/private or sensitive business information),
- devise strategies for convincing current projects to share their results.
The aim of the do-a-thon would be to extend the wiki entry on thermal demand and find out about which steps could be taken next to reach the goal of a valid shared basis for heat demand.
Would be happy to hear your thoughts and ideas!